Okay? Okay

It’s been a week since Augustus called me!  We talked about Imperial Affliction. Then he dropped a bombshell on me. He had somehow managed to email Peter Van Houten and he gave me the email address!

 We talked about everything from books to Gus’ ex-girlfriend, Caroline Mathers, who died of cancer. I almost felt like he was there in my room with me, but in a way it was better, like I was not in my room and he was not in his, but instead we were together in some invisible and tenuous third space.  

Then we kept saying “okay” to each other and somehow it has become our word. It's kind of like how Monica and Isaac would say "always" to each other.  But always just seemed inherently ridiculous. Since you won't always be there, because at some point you'll be dead, or in traffic, or in love with someone else.  But okay seemed just right for us.