Augustus



Support group didn't suck today! Isaac brought his friend to the meeting.  His name is Augustus Waters and he was totally staring at me!  He was kinda hot! 

When Patrick asked him to introduce him self he said, " My name is Augustus Waters, I'm seventeen.  I had a little touch of osteosarcoma a year and a half a go, but I'm just here today at Isaac's request." Then Patrick asked him what he feared.  He said he feared oblivion. 

While I’m normally shy and the not the commenting type, I felt I had to say something. 

 I told him, there will come a time when all of us are dead.  All of us.  There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything.  There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you.  Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever.  There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after.  An if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it.  God knows that what everyone else does.  He seemed really impressed by my little speech of encouragement. 

He and Isaac approached me after support group and then Augustus Waters told me I was beautiful and that I looked like this actress from V for Vendetta and then he invited me over to his house to watch the movie.