My Eulogy

Today Isaac told me that Augustus has been writing something for me.  I looked everywhere to find where he might have left it.  I looked in his room, in the basement and even in the literal heart of Jesus.  But I couldn’t find it.  

Then I learned that he was still in communication with Van Houten.  So I emailed his assistant, Lidewij, asking her to find out if Van Houten had gotten anything from Augustus.  Unbelievably, she found a letter sent from Augustus asking Van Houten to write me a beautiful eulogy.  Lidewij  made Van Houten read it and he said that he had nothing to add to it. Lidewij scanned it and emailed it to me. 

It was a eulogy he wrote in his dying days for me. At the end he wrote, “She is so beautiful.  You don’t get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she is smarter than you: You know she is. She is funny without ever being mean. I love her.  I am so lucky to love her, in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you.  I like my choices.  I hope she likes hers.”  I think he knows I do.  I do, Augustus.  I do.