I am Hazel

My name is Hazel Grace Lancaster and I have cancer.  But cancer doesn’t define me.

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when I was 13 years old. I am 16 now and the cancer has created mets, an impressive and long-settled satellite colony, in my lungs. I have been taking an experimental drug called Phalanxifor which has will help me live longer.

My lungs suck at being lungs. So I have to use an oxygen tank that I roll around on a little steel cart attached to a cannula, a transparent tube that splits beneath my neck, wraps behind my ears and then comes back together at my nose to help me breath.  I've named my oxygen tank Phillip.  I need Phillip because my lungs suck at being lungs.   

I have short, dark hair, green eyes, and chipmunk cheeks from the steroids.  So read my blog if you want, if you don’t want to then don’t. It’s your life after all.