Gus is Gone

Augustus Waters died just eight days after we held our own pre-funeral to read him our eulogies. I got the phone call from his mom in the middle of the night.

The only person I wanted to talk to about Augustus Waters dying was Augustus Waters. 

My parents and I went to Augustus’s funeral, which was held in the sanctuary next to the Literal heart of Jesus where support group meets.  I removed my cannula and walked up to Augustus’s casket.  His face looked plastic and he was wearing the same suit he wore when we went to Oranjee.  I said, okay.  I knew he’d know what I meant.  Then I snuck a pack of Camel Lights into the casket and I whispered to him that he could light them.  I wouldn’t mind.  

The minister talked about Augustus’s courage, Isaac gave his eulogy and then it was my turn.  I started with a quote that hung in Augustus’ house, “Without pain, we couldn’t know joy.” It was one of the most difficult days of my life.